- Manage Pests Safely Choose nontoxic lawn and garden products for insecticides, pesticides, weed killers, fertilizers, and flea/tick control.
- Use Nontoxic Products Use product labeled NONTOXIC, CHLORINE-FREE, PHOSPHATE-FREE, NATURAL FRAGRANCE, PARABEN-FREE, HYPOALLEGENIC, VEGETABLE/BIO, WATER BASE, PETROLEUM-FREE, ORGANIC, LOW OR ZERO VOC, RECYCLED or RECLAIMED, and FORMALDEHYDE-FREE. AVOID using products that say POISON, DANGER, WARNNG, or CAUTION.
- Clean Up Indoor Air Ventilate your home, especially the bedrooms and nursery, by simply opening windows. Change & clean filters in your air-conditioning units and the bag in your vacuum cleaner. Use more indoor plants as air cleaner than using air freshener. Use low VOC paints and AVOID using synthetic carpets when possible.
- Shop Smart Eat organic fruits and vegetables when available. Make wise protein choices with meat, poultry, seafood, eggs and milk products from animal raised on vegetarian feed without hormones or antibiotics. AVOID foods high in sugar, high in fat, or highly processed, as well as fast foods.
- Be Wise with Plastics Replace vinyl chew toys made of soft plastic especially any labeled PVC, V, #3. Opt for toy and books made with natural wood, cloth, or metal. AVOID using plastic containers and cling wrap in the microwave. Instead select reusable glass or ceramic ( lead free ). Choose safer plastics such as polyethylene ( #1, #2,& #4 ) and polypropylene ( #5 ). AVOID use of polycarbonate plastics for baby and look for products that state NO PHTHALATES or NO BISPHENOL A ( BPA ).
5 Easy Steps for a Cleaner, Greener, & Safer Home
- by JRW Sales
- July 27, 2018
- 1 min read